Some services provided are not covered under our contract with the NHS and therefore attract charges. Examples include the following:
- Insurance claim forms
- Health reports for employers
- Forms requested by non-NHS services (colleges, sports organisations etc)
- Private sick notes
The fees charged are based on the British Medical Association (BMA) suggested scales and our receptionists will be happy to advise you about them along with appointment availability.
We are not able to complete all requests for private medical services to ensure we can provide NHS services.
There are several private GP services in Glasgow and online who may be able to complete forms and documents where we are not able to.
Requests from Private Clinics and Pharmacies/Treatment Abroad
We have received the following advice from our Local Medical Committe (LMC) regarding requests from Private Medical Services:
We have recently been contacted by practices about private services such as weight loss clinics who have provided medications to patients. They then write to practices advising the GP of this and asking the GP to confirm that this is safe for the patient and that there are no contraindications. The LMC does not consider this an appropriate use of NHS GP time.
• The practice is operating as a general medical practice providing patient services under a GMS Contract with NHSGGC.
• Employees and contractors of the private clinic / pharmacy have a duty to understand the drug they are prescribing, including any possible adverse effects, contraindications and the need for appropriate monitoring. They are responsible for the prescriptions they sign, even if the prescriptions have been produced by non-clinical staff.
• The practice is not in a position to offer a private prescription checking service for the Private sector.